Doing Communion Online Right
The church is called to oversee two ordinances: baptism and communion. People doing church online need to provide ways for believers to get baptized and participate in communion if they desire to be a church. Baptism can be tricky online, but communion is straightforward. Communion is easy because it requires very little training and it’s easy for people to share the experience online.
Every church does communion differently so I suggest to offer communion online in the same way that aligns with your church. At Saddleback, communion is offered at our services a couple times a year, so our online expression of communion is also offered at those same times.
Once I’m made aware of communion being part of our local services, I send an email to my volunteers about being ready to participate from their homes. Then I post a promoted blog post on our main service page, visible for everyone who attends our service, explaining how an online viewer can participate in communion at home. Below is the full blog post. Feel free to use it.
Take Communion Online with Us
You can participate in this experience from your home. Communion (the Lord’s Supper) is an ordinance given to all believers by Jesus to remember his sacrifice for us and to symbolize the new covenant. Communion will be part of our services starting at 4:00 PM (PT) and onward at Saddleback.com/ONLINE.
The elements of bread and wine/juice are symbols of Christ’s broken body and shed blood. Communion is not a means of salvation, rather, it is a testament of a believer’s faith in the atoning work of the cross. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, join us online to remember his GREAT sacrifice. If you are not in the place where you consider Christ your Savior then sit back and enjoy the service like normal.
HOW TO TAKE COMMUNION ONLINE
1. Purchase Grape Juice (quantity depends on size of your group)
2. Purchase Bread or Baked Crackers
– Unleavened bread is the best expression of the “bread” element. Unleavened bread simply is bread baked without a rising agent (most large grocery stores stock unleavened bread), but you can select any bread or cracker of your choice.
3. Be Ready at Home with Your Elements
– The teaching pastor will direct you through properly receiving communion. All you need to do is follow along online individually, as a group, or in your extension at the service.
4. Share With Us
– After receiving communion online, please fill out a response card or email firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know how many in your home participated in receiving communion. Snap a quick photo and include it in your email as well.
SCRIPTURE REFERENCES FOR PERSONAL USE
Matthew 26:26-30; Mark 14:22-26; Luke 22:19-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-29